Do you know, three out of ten delivery executives in India are engineers? It can be hard to bear the fact, but that’s the reality of engineers in India. Thanks to lack of demand, excessive supply of people and less job- skilled chaps for the fall.

Every year, lakhs and lakhs of engineers finish studies and try to join their core job through placements, internships and walk-in / interviews. But still, 60-70% of them turn unemployed despite the fact they’ve good demand for certain roles in their core sector. Also the rest – 20-30% work out of their core such as Delivery executives, technicians and marketing professionals. Less than 10% join their core as they meet the job requirements.

As per periodic Labour Force Survey data, the State has 7.2% urban unemployment and 7.9% rural unemployment. With the national average at 6.1%, Tamil Nadu stands with the total average of 7.6% unemployment rate.

Why can’t India provide employment to every engineer ?

According to the former chairman of IIT, Dr Anandakrishan, supply is higher than demand, compromised quality of education and infrastructure and lack of job oriented syllabus made engineers to turn unemployed.

Adding this, he quoted in a news website that he came across engineering students working for Rs 6000 a month as technicians and courier delivery boys.

Supply higher than demand :

  • During the 90’s there were not many institutions as now. Lesser than 50 was the highest count of institutions across India.

  • Students taking up engineering are trained as per the job roles to meet the demand.

  • As soon as opportunities began increasing, a demand was created for skilled engineers. This paved the way for new engineering colleges to enter into the market.

Quality compromise :

  • To handle the demand, many quality compromised institutions were mushroomed and thus lead to quality compromised engineers and last but not least- unemployment.

Lack of job oriented syllabus :

  • Unlike IITs and top Deemed universities, majority of technical institutions follow, out of trend curriculum and syllabus that doesn’t meet job requirements of today.

  • This creates setback for graduates during interviews and recruitment sessions.

What is the solution ?

  • The solutions are never Simpler, but Sustainable. Scholars like Dr Balagurusamy demand closure of institutions that don’t meet the requirements and regular revision of curriculum meeting job roles.

  • Educationist, Neduncheziyan blames degrading quality of education for the employment crisis.

  • Timely revision of syllabus and New technical programmes or courses should be added based on demand.

Student centric Solution :

  • Try to join a centralised institution or institution that revises curriculum regularly.

  • Attend entrance exams that matter for top universities.

  • Learn additional skills required to excel in job roles.

  • Know your institution much better.